Catalytic Conversion of Municipal Waste
My PhD project is going to focus on developing approaches that are able to tackle the challenges plastic waste represents for a circular economy. Since 2014, up to 30 % of plastic used in the EU has been landfilled. The remaining 70 % is either recycled or consumed in energy recovery. In an attempt to reduce landfill and improve recycling/ energy recovery processes, my PhD will look at thermal and catalytic pyrolysis of waste plastic streams to produce energy or convert it back into chemical building blocks.
The project will focus upon developing practical solutions and will involve the design and testing of small-scale converters (e.g. fluidised bed reactors) and extrudates as well as the related characterisation of suitable catalysts and processes via spectroscopic methods.
2015 – 2017: Consultant Engineer at Fichtner UK
Specialising in ‘Energy from Waste’ power stations during construction and operation in the UK.
2011 – 2015: First Class Master of engineering (MEng) in ‘Chemical Engineering’ at the University of Manchester.
2009 – 2015: Arran High School, Scotland
1993: Born in Perth, Scotland